Apple iPhones have always been high-quality devices with state-of-the-art technology, and their impressive cameras are no different. Nowadays, even celebrities use iPhones to shoot their music video. If you have an iPhone, you probably do not have to invest in a webcam, but how can you use an iPhone as a webcam?
If you want your iPhone to operate as a webcam, you must do a few things first. This post will cover what you need and the necessary steps to install your iPhone as a webcam on your PC. I also summarized seven ways to fix any problems you might experience.
How To Use An iPhone As Webcam?
To use an iPhone as a webcam, install EpocCam from the Apple Store. Visit Elgato’s website to download the required desktop drivers and check that your device and PC are on the same LAN or WiFi connection. Run the mobile app on your iPhone and the video app, e.g., Skype on your PC.
- How To Use An iPhone As Webcam?
- What You Need To Use Your iPhone As A Webcam
- How To Use iPhone As Webcam
- Why Won’t My iPhone Work As A Webcam On My PC?
- Conclusion – How To Use An iPhone As Webcam
What You Need To Use Your iPhone As A Webcam
Here is what you need to turn your iPhone into a webcam:
You need to install an iOS app from the Apple Store to make your iPhone operate as a webcam. Many apps can do this; however, we found that the app to use is EpocCam. Either use the free version or upgrade to Pro.
The difference between the EpocCam (free version) and EpocCam Pro:
|Feature||EpocCam (Free Version)||EpocCam Pro|
|Pinch To Zoom||No||Yes|
|Video Quality||640 x 480 (480p)||1920 x 1080 (1080p)|
|Adjust Video Quality||No||Yes|
|Choose Connection Mode(WiFi, USB, NDI)||No||Yes|
|Watermark On Video||Yes||No|
Unlike the Pro version, the free version does not grant access to the iPhone’s flashlight, manual focus, and microphone. When you upgrade to Pro, the app will not add the watermark, and it removes advertisements. The maximum resolution in the Pro version is 1920 x 1080 pixels (1080p), whereas, in the free version, it is 640 x 480 pixels (480p).
Once you have downloaded and installed EpocCam, ensure that your laptop and iPhone are connected to the same network connection.
How To Use iPhone As Webcam
Make sure you follow these four easy steps to install your iPhone as a webcam properly:
1. Download EpocCam App On Your iPhone
Open the Apple Store and search for EpocCam. If you cannot find it, type in the full name: EpocCam WiFi Virtual Webcam (the developer is Kinoni). Tap the “Get” or “Install” button.
Once it is finished downloading and the app is installed, open your PC.
2. Install EpocCam Drivers On Windows 10
- Open the browser on your laptop search for “Kinoni”. Go to the “EpocCam iOS/Android” section on their website and download the relevant drivers (download drivers for Windows 7 or later/download drivers for macOS 10.12 and later).
- When you tap the link, a file will pop up: “EpocCamInstaller[version_number].exe.” which you need to download and save on your PC.
- Open the downloaded file and wait for the driver installation wizard window to pop up. Click the “Next” button to set up the drivers.
- The driver installation wizard will ask permission to install the driver from Kinoni. Press on “Install”.
- Although it is not needed, I recommend restarting your PC after installing the driver.
3. Connect EpocCam App On iPhone To Windows 10 PC
- Open the EpocCam app on your iPhone.
- Grant the EpocCam app access to your iPhone’s camera to use it as a webcam. Click on “OK” to allow access.
- Read the welcome message and when you are done, tap any place on your iPhone screen.
- The app will show a screen searching for a PC connected to the same network connection. This might take a few minutes.
- When EpocCam discovers your PC, it will automatically start streaming video. You will also receive a confirmation notification stating that the connection was successful. If you are not using the upgraded version, advertisements will show on your iPhone.
4. Check If Connection Between iPhone and PC Works Properly.
To help users, EpocCam also has an app called: “EpocCam Viewer” (it is included when you download the EpocCam app). It checks if the connection between your iPhone and PC works properly.
Go to the “Search Menu” and click on “All Apps” > Kinoni > EpocCam Viewer. The video will stream on your iPhone if the connection works and the setup is complete.
You can start using your iPhone as a webcam on your PC on any app that supports webcams, e.g., Skype, Zoom.
Like with any app or device, you can encounter problems. Luckily EpocCam offers us a few solutions.
Why Won’t My iPhone Work As A Webcam On My PC?
EpocCam sets up a list of troubleshooting steps to take if your iPhone is struggling to work properly as a webcam on your PC.
- Reinstall The EpocCam Driver
Try deleting the EpocCam driver file. Reinstall it and check if it solved the issue. Sometimes the driver file you downloaded is not the latest version. Once you have installed the driver again, restart your computer.
- Restart The EpocCam Service (Only On Windows)
This option is only available on Windows.
- In the search bar, type and open “Task Manager”.
- Click on “More details (located at the bottom left of “Task Manager”)
- Select the “Service” tab at the top right.
- Scroll down the service list until you find “EpocCamService”; right-click on it and select “Restart”.
- After a few minutes, the service will restart.
- Review Your Firewall Settings
Firewall settings can block you from using your iPhone as a webcam. If your computer uses third-party firewall software such as Norton, you need to configure the setting to allow “Bonjour-service” traffic on “UDP port 5353.”
However, if you are using the Windows Firewall, it will automatically configure the EpocCam app to allow traffic.
- Restart Your iOS Device Or PC
Restart your computer or your iPhone to see if this might solve the problem you are experiencing.
- Reset The Router
Try resetting your router. Unplug and replug the cable from the router. Some routers have a button you press to reset or a certain website you can visit.
Reconnect your computer and iPhone to the router. Ensure that it is connected to the same network (wired Ethernet or WiFi).
- Review Advanced Network Settings
Some WiFi router settings do not allow devices connected to the network to communicate with each other; EpocCam will not be able to connect to your computer.
Check if these services are enabled on the WiFi router:
- Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP)
Check if these services that could prevent the connection from working are disabled on the WiFi router:
- Proxy servers
- AP/client isolation
- IGMP Proxy
- Virtual Private Networks (VPN)
Conclusion – How To Use An iPhone As Webcam
Although EpocCam is not the greatest app, it is the best to use compared to other apps available on Apple Store. With technology evolving, I am sure we can expect a few technical improvements on this app or that Apple will release a new and refined program. It will help a lot of employees working from home.
Most likely, you will not experience any difficulties using your iPhone as a webcam; just ensure that all is in order and you have read through the possible solutions if an issue occurs.
Thank you for reading our article How To Use An iPhone As Webcam!